Please Login to OpenNTF:
Did you happen to forget your password? Reset it here
IBM Connections Downloads
Videos on YouTube
Source Control on GitHub
IBM Collaboration Solutions News
XPages Extension Library
POI 4 XPages
Workflow for XPages
Bootstrap UI Template Kit
JDBC Access for IBM Lotus Domino
De-Mail for IBM Lotus Notes
POI 4 XPages
Trouble Tickets Notes-to-XPages Example
The OpenNTF Alliance is happy to announce the first development contest on
sponsored by IBM Business Partner
. Contribute your resuable XPages controls until August 19th and have a chance to win one of three iPads.
With this contest OpenNTF and We4IT want to increase the number of XPages open source controls to help with the adoption of XPages. Stefan Sucker, CEO,
GmbH, emphasizes that "XPages will soon be the key development model for applications based on IBM Lotus Domino. Providing more core controls and modules is important to build web and mobile applications rapidly." Bruce Elgort, OpenNTF chairman, said: "OpenNTF's first development contest is something I am truly excited about. There are so many cool XPages apps and custom controls being developed that it seemed like an excellent opportunity to establish some type of contest that rewards developers for their efforts. I would like to thank We4IT as our inaugural corporate sponsor for the contest."
We ask participants to contribute re-usable XPages controls to OpenNTF. Re-usable controls are often custom controls with parameters to configure them and use them in different contexts.
Re-usable controls also need to be documented to make them consumable by other OpenNTF developers, especially it needs to be documented which design elements to copy to use the controls in other NSFs.
Good examples are the
from Ferry Kranenburg and the Dojo based
from Julian Buss. Additionally you can find more open source controls in the
that could give you ideas or that you could use as starting points.
is a list of already submitted controls with screenshots and mini videos.
Here are some controls that would be good additions to OpenNTF:
* Rating control for arbitrary URLs (something like a like button for esp. company internal sites)
* Poll control (ask a question and render the results. Potential
* Feedback control for arbitrary URLs (basically comments for esp. company internal sites)
* Send mail control (picks up context; maybe as mail and/or form)
* Graphic/charting controls (e.g. Gannt chart) connected to data sources
* Picture gallery controls in various forms and shapes
* PDF export control (client and/or server side)
* Async file upload (see
There are also many Dojo widgets that could nicely be wrapped up in reusable XPages controls. You can browse the
to see some of these widgets, e.g. the
Stephan Wissel also provided a list of controls in an earlier
. And some companies provide controls for other platforms, e.g.
Awards and Recognition
Each of the three winners will get an Apple iPad, either the 64 GB Wifi version or the 32 GB 3G version.
The winners will be invited to present their controls at an OpenNTF Steering Committee meeting with executives from various companies.
OpenNTF will also create videos and screenshots (if not done by contributors), blog about these controls and have them put on
We'll use the following criteria when judging the contributions:
1) Reusability, consumability and documentation
2) "Wow" factor and completeness of solution
3) Overall business value
4) Special consideration will be given to developers new to XPages and OpenNTF
5) Originality factor: Only the actual new code will be considered to make sure contributions add value and actual source code rather than only re-using existing source code.
Everyone can participate and submit nominations. The only exceptions are all IBM employees and participants of the OpenNTF Steering Committee. The sitting members of the Steering Committee are not permitted to personally submit a nomination, however other employees of their respective companies may submit. A nomination can be done by more than one person but the award would have to be splitted.
Prerequisites for valid Submissions
All open source projects can be nominated that have been submitted to either the Apache or GPL catalog on OpenNTF. The following points describe in details these prerequisites. The contributions don't necessarily have to be published in the catalog by the submission deadline, but they must have a major project release and receive IP clearance before the deadline. Committers will then work to publish those submissions to the Catalog.
1. Authors need to be approved OpenNTF contributors, e.g. they need to have a signed ICLA or CCLA on file (
2. Submissions have to be posted under one of the four accepted OpenNTF licences. For example for Apache submissions the Apache license has to be applied correctly (
3. Submissions must have been cleared by the ip-manager at openntf dot org so that they can be added to either the Apache or GPL catalog. Contact the IP manager if you need to use third party code.
4. Submissions will be evaluated on Domino 8.5.2. Non-working submissions or submissions that judges cannot get to work do not count. No other product versions will be used for evaluation.
5. Submissions need at least to provide two or three paragraphs of documentation, some screenshots and in the optimal case a short demo video (all in English).
6. Projects or new releases of existing projects need to be created on OpenNTF with the submission as release in it. Existing releases can not be nominated and if existing projects are extended only the new part is considered for judging.
You need to have the code on OpenNTF and send a mail to support at openntf dot org.
August 19th 2011: Deadline for submissions
September 5th 2011: Announcement of winners
Please help us to promote this Contest
The OpenNTF Alliance would appreciate if you could help us to promote this contest.
Please feel free to use the
graphic above or the following
graphic and link to
Taking Notes Podcast
To find out more about the contest listen to
Taking Notes Podcast - Episode 135
The X Cast - Episode 9
Screenshots and videos of the submitted controls
are available on
Multi Database Search Control
ZK Spreadsheet for XPages
XPages PDF Exporter Custom Control
full blog entry